security

Protesters block Ecopetrol oil field in Santander and Bolivar

June 22, 2012

More than 200 people demand outstanding payments from companies that performed seismic work in the area.

 Inhabitants of four municipalities on Thursday blocked entries to an oil field located in jurisdiction of Cantagallo (southern Bolivar) and Puerto Wilches (Santander).

Providers claim payments for services to the company Geoenergy SAS, which ended Geoseismic jobs in the region last February.

 Ecopetrol, through a statement, said it has repeatedly demanded that the contracting firm fulfill its contract by payment of the obligations entered into with suppliers of various municipalities of Magdalena for the  development of the -Playon Crystalline 2D Seismic project.

 According to information from the communities of the municipalities of Puerto Wilches and Sabana de Torres and the townships of San Rafael, Santander, San Pablo, Bolivar south, San Alberto, Cesar south, and La Esperanza, this firm told local suppliers with whom contracted goods and services, which to date have not been paid, the false argument that Ecopetrol has retained some money.

Ecopetrol reported that it will only pay labor obligations on behalf of the contracting firm, as mandated by Colombian law and the Agreement signed between Geoenergy SAS and Ecopetrol SA.

A spokesman for the state oil company said in regard to the commitments that contractors have with their suppliers, these are beyond the authority and management of Ecopetrol, because trade links between contractors and suppliers are private relationships between individuals.

Activation of a contingency plan has allowed production in the oil field to continue. Colombian Armed Forces are present at the entrances.

Source: ElTiempo.com
Translated by Hydrocarbons Colombia » Read More

Illegal mining slows delivery of four lane highway to Buenaventura

June 18, 2012

The municipality does not accept the finished works, due to its deterioration. There are at least 30 holes made by illegal mining, which are affecting the stability of the road.

Buenaventura authorities refuse to receive the finished tracks of the highway in urban areas, due to the deterioration caused by the action of the ‘human moles’ (illegal miners).

This was expressed by officials of the Secretariat of Infrastructure of the Port, who pinned down the existence of at least 30 holes made by illegal mining, which are affecting the stability of the road.

Although several branches of the road to the Port, especially in section two of the construction (between Zaragoza and Triana), are already being used by vehicles traveling in the area, the local authority refuses to receive them officially for stability problems that may occur later.

 The National Roads Institute, Invías, will analyze the issue as this situation arises in many sections of the railway, also hit by the action of illegal mining, as reported earlier.

 Project by the end of 2014.

 Last week in Cali, in the review of  infrastructure made by the Chamber of Commerce of Cali, the transport minister, Miguel Penaloza, and the director of Invías, Carlos Rosado, said that the works of the controversial dual carriageway Buga-Puerto would be ready in about two or three years.

“The stretch of Loboguerrero-Buenaventura will have environmental permits by next October. If they meet the schedule of dates, this stretch could be ready in late 2014, and all dual carriageway in July 2015.”said the minister Penaloza.

For his part, the Invías director said that the branch has invested more than CoP$ 1.5B (US$ billion. “In the section of the Port Loboguerreo we have to solve 80% of the drawbacks, both farm and environmental,” said Rosado

Source: ElPais.com.co
Translated by Hydrocarbons Colombia » Read More

Army destroys cylinder bombs and landmines

June 17, 2012
Bogota.

Offensive operations against the FARC carried out by troops from the Army in the departments of Meta, Norte de Santander and Antioquia, resulted in the destruction of deadly traps that were installed by the guerrillas.

The first two gas cylinders were found by troops from Special Energy and Highway Battalion No. 10 'Coronel José Concha', who are deployed in the town of Teorama, Norte de Santander. (HCC NOTE: No wells in vicinity) In this place the soldiers also located a composition of 20 kilos of explosives R1, tar, staples, metal grinding, glass and nuts, plus 300 meters of duplex cable, these items were manufactured using traditional methods by members of the mobile column 'Ruiz Bari' of the FARC.

In the meantime, the terrorist gang 'Jacobo Arenas' Farc was thwarted, when soldiers of Rapid Deployment Force who are deployed in the town of La Uribe, Meta, located and destroyed a mine field of 80 square meters, comprising a 20 pounds cylinder bomb, eight landmines, detonating cord 80 meters and 400 meters of duplex cable. (HCC NOTE: Uribe-1 is in the municipality but we have been unable to determine the exact geographic connection with the events in this story.)

The exact location of the artifacts was recorded at the site known as El Mocho, in the village Mansitas, which were connected one after another to be activated by the guerrillas through the chain system.

Finally, thanks to the work of the canine duo part of the anti-explosives group of the Fourth Brigade, a deadly trap installed by members of the Front "Atanasio Girardot" of the FARC was discovered in a rural area of the municipality of Granada, Antioquia. (HCC NOTE: No wells in the vicinity.)

 Source: Colombian Army
 Translated by Hydrocarbons Colombia  » Read More

Pages 1